About Me

My photo
...and all i wanna do is declare these simple truths

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Faith: [still] choosing to believe


“[Wait] with Me for a while. I have much to tell you. You are walking along the path I have [chosen for you]. It is both a privileged and perilous way: experiencing My glorious Presence and heralding that reality to others. Sometimes you feel presumptuous to be carrying out such an assignment. Do no worry about what other people think of you.The work I am doing in you is hidden at first. But eventually blossoms will burst forth, and [abundant] fruit will be borne. Stay on the path of Life with Me. Trust Me [wholeheartedly], letting my spirit fill you with Joy and Peace.”

I discovered this excerpt one fall morning in College Station while sitting on my back porch sipping my coffee and reading my daily devotional.

At that time I was just two days into my senior year and was already being forced to make decisions that would significantly influence the next season of my life…and I wasn’t quite sure how to feel about that yet. Now, those decisions have been made and resulted in me working full time for Pine Cove…a job that I absolutely love, with people that I love even more.

A sweet season of life no doubt, but still, over a year later, I have found myself sitting on a new back porch in Flint, Tx clinging to this same truth over and over again. I have come to realize that no matter where I am or what season of life I am in I will spend the rest of my life having to make many more decisions, whether big or small, that will continue to influence it; however, I don’t want to spend the rest of my life allowing those decisions to consume my thoughts or weigh me down. I want to simply walk, each day,along the path He has chosen for me, trusting Him wholeheartedly to guide each step…but how?!

My flesh wants to have all of my ducks in a row. To make sure everything is going to work out according to my plan. The Spirit, however, demands faith.

“Now faith is the [assurance] of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen…” -Hebrews 11:1

Hebrews 11 reminds us that we are called to be sure of God’s promises and that assurance should be evident in our actions. Hebrews 11 also seems to have a reoccurring theme: “By faith…”.
By faith Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and Sara lived their lives in such a way that reflected their belief that God is who He says He is and that He blesses His children.

“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and the He rewards those who ernestly seek Him.” -Hebrews 11:6

I want to live my life like that too. To engage with a God that [overflows] into every aspect of my life. A God that has my best interest in mind and seeks to bless me. A God that is proud to proclaim Himself as my God simply because I am engaging with Him and [drawing near].

So, no matter what season of life you may be in I invite you to do the same. Whether you are figuring out what to do after college, transitioning out of one job and in search of another, or learning a new job the reality is that life is full of transition. Seasons of life are constantly changing, but we serve a God that is unchanging. In the midst of whatever season you are currently in, no matter how comfortable or chaotic, are you choosing to believe each and every day that God is who He says He is and that by faith, blossoms will eventually burst forth and abundant fruit will be borne because He blesses His children?

My life and ministry won’t be perfect, but thankfully, our God [chooses] to use broken people…and just as He chooses to use us, I am choosing to believe that He will use me to accomplish His purposes. If I am trusting my God [wholeheartedly] with my life, my labor will not be in vain and neither will yours.

“All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.”
                                                                                                   -Hebrews 11:13-16

So, I have found that it isn’t necessarily where you are in life that matters, but rather who you choose to believe in. The question is, are you believing in yourself or your Creator? Are you trying to create your own path, or simply choosing to walk in the one He has already paved for you, all the while longing for a better country, the heavenly city that He has prepared? All of my decisions and problems seem to be a lot less weighty in light of these truths, and from now on I want to spend my life choosing, believing, walking, and ultimately longing for a better country.

1 comment:

  1. Um. Yeah. BOOM. Amen. Praise Him. Preach! It! Sista!
    (just a couple of the words that come to mind when I read this.)
    Gosh, so powerful. So true. So needed. I am copying and pasting that last paragraph into my journal. My CQ word for you, my dear friend, is WISE. Skype date soon.
    XOXO
    Speeds

    ReplyDelete